Division: Hip Reconstruction
Category: Acetabular Solutions
MARATHON Polyethylene was the first FDA-cleared, third generation, crosslinked polyethylene which reduces wear versus non-crosslinked polyethylene, while resisting oxidation and maintaining mechanical standards2,6. MARATHON is produced from GUR 1050 polyethylene ram extruded bar that is moderately crosslinked at 5 Mrad of gamma irradiation, then stabilised using a patented remelting process to eliminate free radicals balancing the need for wear resistance against the damaging effects of irradiation1.
1. McKellop, H. et al.: Development of an Extremely Wear-Resistant Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene for Total Hip Replacements. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1999;17:157-167.
2. McKellop, H. et al.: Wear of Gamma-Crosslinked Polyethylene Acetabular Cups Against Roughened Femoral Balls. Clinical Orthopaedics & Related Research 1999;369:73-82.
3. Engh CA Jr, Hopper RH Jr, Huynh C, Ho H, Sritulanondha S, Engh CA Sr. A Prospective, Randomized Study of Cross-Linked and Non–Cross-Linked Polyethylene for Total Hip Arthroplasty at 10-Year Follow-Up. The Journal of Arthroplasty. 2012;27(8 Suppl 1):2-7.
4. Liao, Y-S.; Greer, K.; Hanes, M.; McNulty, D. Effects of Resin and Dose on Wear and Mechanical Properties of Crosslinked Thermally Stabilized UHMWPE 7th World Biomaterials Congress - 2004, Page 1142
5. McKellop, H. et al.: Development of an Extremely Wear-Resistant Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene for Total Hip Replacements. Journal of Orthopaedic Research.1999;. 17,No. 2: 157-166.
6. Engh CA Jr, Stepniewski AS, Ginn SD, et al. A randomized prospective evaluation of outcomes after total hip arthroplasty using cross-linked MARATHON™ and non-cross-linked ENDURON™ polyethylene liners. J Arthroplasty 2006;21(6 Suppl 2):17-25.
For more information please visit www.corailpinnacle.net/pinnacle/bearings-and-liners